Sunday, January 29, 2012

What, How, Why, When, and Where We Read

Over the past several days, I've had conversations with friends over how to instill a love of reading to children, how to fit in time, what to read, when to read.

I have a degree in English education and a current English/Language Arts teaching certification for grades 6-12. I have no reading endorsement, no master's degree. I do, however, have a love for the written word and an even bigger love for my children. So, combine the two and I could talk for hours.

From my own experience, here's what I have found to instill a love of reading in my children, which, in turn, spurs a love of learning.

1. Read early. When I was pregnant with my babies, I read my favorite novel to them when they were still in utero- To Kill a Mockingbird.  I was teaching full-time with my first pregnancy and read constantly aloud. With my second pregnancy, I was reading to my oldest. I think their love of books started then. And, if the good LORD blesses us with more, I will read TKaM to them, too, as well as all the other read alouds we do.

We tried the read before bed routine the night we brought our son home from the hospital. That was a bust. He was hungry and I was recovering from major surgery, trying to hold a squirming, crying, forgotten-how-to-latch on baby while juggling a book. Instead, I talked to him and I read at different times aloud. Not a constant stream, just when I thought of it while I was nursing him. When his sister came along, I nursed her while reading to them. They both benefited from that. (I also got better at juggling.)

2. Read whatever your child is passionate about. Animals. Airplanes. Rockets. Whatever. Read it! Read it again. And again. And again.

3. Take your kids to the library. Pressed for time? Set a time limit. In and out in 30 minutes. Set a book limit- 10, say. While they're selecting books, keep your eyes opened for books they may enjoy and slip them in your 'library book bag'. This does a few things- you'll get a bit of a say in what you're reading. They'll love the surprise. You can direct them to new topics that they might be interested in. For example if he likes airplanes, a biography one the Wright brothers, might be something he'll enjoy. Young children love reading about other people, and there are SOOOOO many books written at an age appropriate level for them. If you get home with a book that's over their level, paraphrase and look at the pictures. Lots of good discussion and learning happens then, too.

If they have an author they love, check out every book on the shelf written by that author. Put holds on books that your library doesn't have. (Holds are when you want to check out a book that's either not currently on the shelf or that needs to be sent from another library. USE this resource!) If your child sees a book they'd like to read, make a note and put a hold on it from your home computer. This only takes getting a user id and password on your next trip to the library. It takes less than 5 minutes and yields so much literary goodness! Many young readers have pictures advertising other selections in a series. Read every one that piques your child's interest.

4. While you're at the library, peruse the shelves for your own reading. They need to see Momma and Daddy reading for enjoyment.

5. Start the day reading. Seriously. Lately, I've been doing this very thing with my young ones. Sure, you're thinking, you homeschool. You have that luxury of time. Yes and no. Yes, it's true that we may not have to be somewhere at a certain time most days, but there is order and routine to our days. We, too, have schedules to keep, meals to be made, a house to keep tidy, errands to run. A very dear friend who teaches full-time starts the day with her daughter reading to her. It takes 10 minutes. They may read a few pages or a whole chapter. They start the day together, wiping sleep from their eyes. They are relaxed, connected, and ready to take on the day together. Ten minutes or less. What a precious way to start the day!

6. Read at night. Now, I do not 'do' bedtime stories. We read on and off all day; plus, I'm with mine all day. That makes a difference. We do, however, read in the evenings. What time it is, how long, squirreliness level of the children dictate whether we read one, two, or ten. Turn off the television. You're tired. They're tired. The television is a quick fix, but there is nothing so relaxing as reading to your children, snuggled up. They'll be relaxed, and so will you. You're also making memories- for them and you.

7. Make comfy places to read. One thing that's on our list for Christmas this coming year for our children is a bean bag chair for each. Even if all they do is look at the pictures because they're too young to read or if they are just enjoying the beautiful artwork in a picture book, they're still 'reading' and stimulating their brains.

8. Let them listen to books on cd (or if you rock it old school like we do UTRTR- on cassette tape) as they drift off. I loved it as a child. And so does our son. Or let them listen in the car. Or turn one on as they color and you prepare dinner. We love doing this. It's also great fun listening together. We'll be alone in our thoughts listening and out of nowhere something funny in the story happens and we laugh at the same time. Priceless.

9. Don't let the reading aloud stop when they're young. Even teenagers like to be read to.

10. NEVER turn them down to read. Yes, there are times that are better than others. Sometimes it's at a moment, when you think, "Seriously? I'm in the middle of fixing dinner!" What you say is, "I want to read to you, but I can't right now. Put that and one more book by our reading chair and before bed, I'll read them to you." And follow through.

Okay, so those are my top ten ideas/reasons/compelling arguments for reading with your children. There will be more, I am sure.

I'm going to try to start compiling our weekly reading list on here. Perhaps you'll see something that interests you for your own reading or to share with your children. Maybe it'll be an encouragement in your own schooling journey with your children. Maybe it'll even be interesting to see what our family reads.

I do know this- I have not regretted one moment that I've spent reading to our children. I've only regretted the moments that I didn't when asked. I've since learned my lesson. They'll only ask for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment