Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Power of a Yes or a No

There's a local writer, whose work I have admired for years and whose column appears on Tuesdays in our hometown paper. She's published several books and regales us with stories of her life and what it means to be a Southerner. I look forward to her column every week and have for years. I've quoted her in conversations, and only within the last year or so learned that she's only one degree of separation away.

I said all that to say this....sometimes I finish her column with a laugh, at others with a roll of the eyes and a shake of the head- unsure if she's exaggerated a touch or because I know what she's written to be all too true. There are others that linger and make me think.

Last week's did just that.

The column had to do with how the power of a 'yes' or a 'no' could change the course of one's destiny.

The columnist recounted a story from her youth. A much-planned for school trip to the Georgia coast and a chance to meet a writer whom she admired. Then her grandmother passed away the day before she was supposed to leave for the trip. We Southerners never miss a funeral, so she presumed that she would not be going. Her parents, knowing how important this trip was to their daughter and her future, insisted she go. That 'yes' changed the course of her destiny.

Long after I laid the column aside, that story still lingered. That is the kind of parent I want to be. A parent who sees what my child is passionate about and who encourages my children to follow their passion. Even if it means breaking the 'rules.'

But even more than that I contemplated my own destiny. I wondered if someone had changed the course of my life with a simple yes or a no. I pondered this on and off for a few days.

Then it came to me.

As a freshman in college, looking for work I put in applications in virtually the only two places in our small town. I'd been interviewed at both; uncertain at which I should choose, I told my momma that I would go with whoever hired me first- small grocery store or big name shoppers' club.

I got the nod from the small town grocery store, followed by the big name shoppers' club a few hours later.

Still, I stuck with my resolve. I'd go with the first one who said 'yes.'

Fourteen years have since passed and I look back and see that, indeed, the course of my destiny was shaped with a 'yes.'

So much more than a job to make my car note came from that yes. Nine years of marriage and two kids later, I'm thankful to Hope, the woman who hired me; because it was there I met a hardworking young man who would ask me to share his life.

A destiny changed in a 'yes' or a 'no.'


PS- I do not doubt for one second that God orchestrated every detail to bring us where we are today. I find it amazing and awe-some that He allows us to be part of His plans. And with or without us, His plans will come to pass. We can shape our own destiny in a 'yes' or a 'no' to His call.

No comments:

Post a Comment