Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hitting Our Stride

Next month will be a year since we bought the kindergarten curriculum for our son. After flipping through the k-3 and k-4 programs, we knew he was ready for kindergarten work even though he'd just turned four.

We have no regrets purchasing them then. He was ready and I was, well, honestly, less than ready. But, this is what we knew what we were called to do. With a baby on the way, I was certain this is what we were supposed to do, but so many days I just didn't have the energy to do it. Plus, I wanted to get a jumpstart. Our son was ready to begin, and I wanted to give us the opportunity to get into a routine. Only, I wasn't thinking we'd be in a whole new routine once the baby arrived. Still, it worked out exactly the way it was supposed to- he got interested in this new and exciting adventure and I got a glimpse of what hs'ing would be like.

So, on the afternoon the books arrived, we began. No reading and preparation, no preamble at all. We opened the UPS box and dove right in. We were all so excited! The books were perfect- crisp, new, and full of pages with questions waiting for answers.

On that mid-April afternoon, we took the plunge. My husband decided to give us the quiet and concentration we needed, so he cut the grass. My son and I sat at the dining room table, books scattered all over its surface. We followed a routine for a few days, but it didn't seem to work. We tried various methods over the next few months, but nothing seemed to be the right fit. Strict, not-to-be-veered-from-the-path planning what we were going to do and when just seemed to backfire on us. It became discouraging.

As the summer rocked on, the days grew longer and hotter, and all of my energy went into getting through the long, hot days, along with the glamorous tasks of a SAHM, plus readying for our soon-to-arrive baby.

Then our daughter arrived.....

Needless to say, our school lessons were sporadic, at best. As my husband's Family and Medical Leave time came to a close, he brought out the school books once again and picked up where I left off with our son's math lessons. This helped to get us focused again.

Now, let me say, that during the past six months we've been going through some adjustments. It's been a smooth, almost seemless transition from one child to two; still, it's been an adjustment. Truth be told, mostly for me.

So, when the holidays were over and the new year began, I had every intention of getting us on a schedule. I had scheduled a time to begin our new schedule. Only, I didn't really have that schedule fully figured out. Was I going to have a set day to go to the grocery store? What about co-op classes? What about their poppa who comes once a week to visit and play? How was I going to get everything accomplished?

As you can imagine, I just shut down. All thoughts and concerns just ceased when my baby got the flu. As frightening as that was, I believe the LORD allowed it to happen so that I would have time to reflect.

We have young children. We have extended family. My husband works two jobs, and we have to work in our family time. We are involved in our church. We have friends that we hang out with when time allows.

Two words came to mind- structure and flexibility.

As the momma of this family, it is my job to build in the structure. This takes discipline; it's not that I'm not disciplined. I just didn't want to commit. Which, if you know me, is a ridiculous idea- me, not commiting to something? I grew up with the mantra, "Your word is your bond." I've been married since I was twenty-two, and before that betrothed for two years while finishing our education. I have two kids. I am not a commitment-phobe. Except for this one area.

And then I asked the LORD for help. Again. This time I meant it. No excuses. I no longer wanted to be phobic about this commitment we'd made to God, each other, our children and their education.

I didn't plan it out. I didn't (and don't) write lesson plans. (We purchased a curriculum that lays out what to do. ) I just pulled ten days worth of math and writing,reading, and phonics lessons, and had them waiting for us; when we were ready, the lesson plans were ready. No excuses.

The first morning we started as soon as my husband left for work. First, we started with prayer- the key to any day! We asked for safety for Daddy as he went to and from work and for him to have a good day; we also asked for God to bless our day- for our son to be open to learning and for me to be able to teach him what he needs. Then, we moved on to reading the Bible and an activity that went along with the reading. Next, we switch it up- sometimes math first, sometimes writing and phonics. We always end with a reading lesson.

For the past two weeks, we've really hit our stride. I think the key is before I even get up in the morning I ask the LORD to sign His name to this day before I even get out of bed, then as I nurse the baby and wait for the coffee to brew, I read my Bible. Right now it's not a focused Bible study, but I am reading a book at a time and somtimes the Proverbs for the day. Still, the LORD reveals to me His grace, His mercy, His love- no matter where my eyes fall that morning.

Then, at or before 8 AM, we're off and running. By 11, we're finished with 'school' for the day. Keep in mind that we're doing kindergarten work. By no means are we finished for the day with learning, just the formal lessons. There are still books to be read, puzzles to be put together, crafts to be made, and, some days, errands to be ran. We're finding that any day we're home in the morning is a school day. This even includes Saturdays. And, most days when we aren't at home in the morning, he's asking to do his school work as soon as we get home.

We have structure- lessons prepped and ready and the determination that if we're home, we're 'doing school.' And, we have flexibility. Daddy's off? No school today! Poppa's coming up? We'll finish school before he gets here! A trip to town? School then town, then home to finish any remaining work.

In no way do we have this perfected. And this may not work for everyone. This may not even work for us next month, and we will probably go through adjustments sooner or later. But for now, we've hit our stride.

And now that we've hit our stride. I'm more certain than ever that this is exactly where the LORD wants us to be!

(PS- I would ask for you to pray for us that we continue with this stride. It's taken us a long time to get here, and we are seeing the fruits of these labors come to pass. This is just the beginning of our journey, and I know that God will bless our faithfulness. Thank you in advance for your prayers for us; we covet them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment