Thursday, November 4, 2010

Who am I? What am I doing here?

I ask myself these questions a lot. Some days I forget my own name. Countless times a day I forget what I am doing, wanted to do, or am supposed to be doing. I forget what I came into the room for. I wonder why I am staring into the fridge. I lose track of what I was thinking. It happens multiple times a day.

But there are times I ask myself these questions as a sort of evaluation. Two words can sum up why I ask myself these questions when I ask them intentionally to check my motives.

Identity. Purpose.

I've been contemplating these words a lot lately. Who am I? What am I here for? Everyone questions who they are and what their purpose in life is. I think I re-evaluate who I am and what I'm supposed to be doing every few months. I think it keeps me remember that it's not about me! And if I've lost sight of the fact that it's not about me, then it humbles me and reminds me to get back where I need to be.

My identity is not defined (at least not solely) by the social security administration or what name is listed on my driver's license. It's not my occupation, which, sadly, in this society is not valued as it should be. It's not the amount of cash in my pocket. Or who I was born to. It's not who I married, although I did marry an amazing man!

My identity is in Christ alone. I am who He says I am. And what He says I am is His. First and foremost, that is what I am....His child, His daughter, His prized possession. He gave His life for me. Everything He gave up for me. So, when I temporarily misplace my identity, I go back to the cross. That is where I rediscover not who I am, but Whose I am.

And there, where I rediscover my identity, I also rediscover my purpose. It's to love, honor, serve, and bring Him glory. My job is to be a blessing to Him and to others. My roles in life are wife, momma, daughter, sister, friend, and countless other titles; those are the details. Don't get me wrong. I love those titles. I love hearing my husband introduce me as his wife, my child call me 'Momma', my Pop call me 'his girl', and my sister call me, Sis. I love being all those things to those wonderful people, but if my identity and purpose reside solely in what the world sees me as, then I have lost sight of my mission in life and I forget that it's not about me.

It's about Him.

And it's Him calling me His own that reaffirms time and again who I am, giving me identity and purpose. And when I see myself in this light and forget about me and focus on Him, then I have I have no questions, no fears, no worries, no doubts. It's all about the focus. It's not, Who am I? but Whose am I? It's not, What am I doing? but Who am I doing this for?

No comments:

Post a Comment